FT_Prog fix your FTDI RS485 DMX Interface

FT_PROG is a free EEPROM programming utility for use with FTDI devices. It is used for modifying EEPROM contents that store the FTDI device descriptors to customize designs.

Requirements

– Windows PC
– your non-working DMX Interface:
rs485dmxadapter

Software Installation

Download here : http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

FT_Progdownloadpage

Unpack the downloaded zip file and run the installer:

FTProgSetup

Click next and accept the license agreement, then select the required components, select your installation folder and click install:

FTProgSetup1

When the installation is finished, connect your FTDI DMX interface  (make sure all DMXcontrol software is closed) and wait till windows installed the drivers:FTProgwindowsdriverinstallation

A new desktop icon should be made, open FT_Prog :

FTProgshortcut

Backup your FTDI device

when FT_Prog has opened, press F5 to search for FTDI devices or navigate to “Devices” and click “Scan and Parse” :

FTProgdevices

A device should appear under “Device tree”, on the right side you  should see properties of the selected device :

FTProgdeviceinfo

Now to backup all your device settings, click “File” and select “Save As Template” :

FTProgsavetemplate

Save your file somewhere safe, this file will be used to restore to “Factory” settings.

Warning! When you change the default FTDI VID and PID descriptors, matching against the original, FTDI drivers will not work anymore! Which means that any subsequent attempt to use FT_Prog with the serial to USB converter will not work! You cannot revert back the changes because the device is not longer discovered by the drivers.

Fix your DMX Interface

I NEED YOUR FEEDBACK:
Since there are many different versions of the RS485 board being sold, I cannot confirm these settings working on your device, however when you try these settings please leave a comment below with your result. This will help me and others get a better and correct guide. THX.

I cannot test all different devices but there have been reports that changing the C2 to “SLEEP#” fixes the problem:

FTProgC2sleep

Now to update your device, click “Devices” and click “Program” :

FTProgprogramftdi

A new window should open :

FTProgProgramftdidialog

Click “Program” to save your settings.
Do not disconnect your device until the status says “Finished Programming”:

FTProgfinished

The programming should only take a few seconds, then close FT_Prog, disconnect and reconnect your device.

My (Working) FTDI settings

These settings have not yet been tested on other devices, these are settings from a device that came working out of the box, please leave a comment below confirming these settings or post your (working) settings:

USB Config Descriptor:

FTProg_USBConfigDescription

USB String Descriptors : (never change Serial Number or Prefix!)

FTProg_USBStringDescriptor

Hardware Specific:

FTProg_HardwareSpecific

Invert RS232 Signals :

FTProg_InvertRS232Signals

IO-Controls :

FTProg_IOControls

Extra - Personalize your device

Under USB String Descriptors there is a field called “Product Description”, this will be the device name displayed in”Device Manager” and windows driver installation, this can be changed to anything you like up to 46 characters. :

FTProgdiydmxinterfacename

Now to update your device, click “Devices” and click “Program” :

FTProgprogramftdi

A new window should open :

FTProgProgramftdidialog

Click “Program” to save your settings.
Do not disconnect your device until the status says “Finished Programming”:

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Dave
Dave
5 years ago

This fix worked for me, thanks!

Atron
Atron
5 years ago

It’s been a while since the last time I visited this post.
The las updates are awesome! Thanks!!!
PD: The Sleep option worked for me!

Freddy
Freddy
5 years ago

That C2 sleep fix worked great for me. Thank you.

deeveejay
deeveejay
5 years ago

Do you use this as a substitute to not having to lifting the two pins and soldering them to the ground pin. Or is this used in conjunction to lifting pins and soldering. If so do you do the programing first then the pin lift and soldering.

Simon
Simon
5 years ago

Just clarifying, if I use this fix, the driver for the board won’t work?

dailytinker97
dailytinker97
5 years ago

lost driver somehow anybody have , was working fine ran a cleanup tool and now nothing

Peter
Peter
5 years ago

Using the ‘Sleep’ fix worked for me, however I also needed to enable ‘High current I/O’ to make it work reliably.

Levi
Levi
5 years ago

Z4R4T3
Z4R4T3
5 years ago

The same happens to me, please help..

” I cannot program the device, while the software first finds the device. When I try to program the software says “Programming Failed, Has the device been removed?” Do you know what that could be ? “

stain1107
5 years ago

I’m having trouble saving changes to my module. Everything looks fine my PID is showing 0x6001, FT Prog reports Finished Programming but the changes I made is not save on my device. Anyone have the same issue? I have purchased my device on ebay. It seems that eeprom is closed for writing.

stain1107
5 years ago
Reply to  Steven

Thanks Steve actually this is my second project. the first one went perfectly fine. I cant tell if this is fake since the PID is correct and FT Prog is able to recognize the device. This second device looks identical to the first one but doesn’t have the BAITE or BATE logo printed on board.

Pade
Pade

Hi,

I realized the interface with the board USB-RS485-PCBA from FTDI. It works after configuring C2 to #SLEEP (test wit QLC+ on Linux).
Thanks a lot !

Hyarmenya
Hyarmenya

* Sorry , I do not speak much English; P *
When I click the software program , I run all the steps, but it still gives me trouble , I open the programming software and the changes are not saved.
C2 continues as TXDEN not as schedule : SLEEP # .

Henry
Henry
Reply to  Steven

having the same problem – even the soldering solution hasnt worked for me !

Hyarmenya
Hyarmenya
4 years ago

Had read the guide, but I wanted to find a solution before making welds, my PID is 6001, etc. I believed that everything would work ( the FT_Prog ) ……. but nothing, with the first solution ( lift pin 2 & 3 and welding them together ) has done very well . SP485EE my DIP8 is also,for if it helps someone. Habia leido la guia, pero queria buscar una solucion antes de hacer soldaduras, mi PID es el 6001, etc. Creia que todo debia de funcionar (el FT_Prog)…….pero nada, con la primera solucion (levantar pin 2&3 y soldarlos entre si)… Read more »

Hyarmenya
Hyarmenya
4 years ago

Yes, no problem for now, but I want to try the whole team to see if it is able to withstand 30 meters hose FOH and all devices at once ( 18 dimmer channels and 16 channels 6 fixtures ) .
why you ask? people can not with that chip?

si, sin problemas por ahora, pero quiero probar el equipo entero a ver si es capaz de soportar los 30mts de la manguera de FOH y todos los aparatos a la vez (18 canales de dimmer y 6 fixtures de 16 canales).
porque lo preguntas? la gente no puede con ese chip?

Manuel
Manuel
4 years ago

For 1,5 year the board was forgotten and getting dust in a drawer beecause it didn’t work. Today I found the ProgFix and I runs right away. (Date on the Board 2013/06/4)

matt
matt
4 years ago

Hi there, great little diy tutorial! I’m having a little trouble though, I made the interface as the first tutorial suggested, the laptop recognised it, installed drivers and all seems fine, however when I open freestyler, I get one red led come on, and when I connect a fixture I get another red led on, but for some reason I can’t seem to control the fixture with freestyler. :/ I’m new to the program, so I’m not sure if it’s something I’m not doing, or would this fix suggested be what I need perhaps? Any suggestions would be great thanks!!… Read more »

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Steven

I tried the fix on this page, worked straight away! thanks =)

Luke Hutton
Luke Hutton
4 years ago

Hi, Did you ever find a solution or reason as to why FT_PROG wasn’t working for some chips? I have tried two chips and this method doesn’t work (the programming doesn’t save when the chips is re-connected). I tried the other fix on one of the chips by lifting the DE and RE pins although I haven’t tried the 2nd solution as I don’t have the equipment to do it. This didn’t work either and only resulted in one of the green LED’s flashing but not the other Both chips work for 5 minutes or so and then ‘stop responding’.… Read more »

Luke Hutton
Luke Hutton
Reply to  Steven

Thanks for the reply! I suppose I’ll just have to buy another and cross my fingers. The guide is great btw, thanks for writing it! 🙂

Dan
Dan

Hi!
I have FT232R with MAX485 converter.
I try to reflash C2 Pin with FT Prog. When I press “Program” FT Prog print “Finishing Programming” and “Ready”. When I reconnect the device C2 steel “TXDEN” mode.
Do you have any solution to fix this?

Douglas
4 years ago

Does this enable magicQ’s full features? If not has anyone tried copying a magicQ wings eeprom and writing it to one of these?

Douglas
Reply to  Steven

So the original post is wrong saying it is compatible with magicQ? as if I open the magicQ wing drivers folder there is a text document by FTDI. I also thought that I read magicQ used FTDI.

williamjdrury
Reply to  Steven

Ahh ok. Do you know the protocol for the Mq wings? After reading I think I discovered that magic q uses custom fetid drivers for there devices. If this is true could I connect a Mq wing and copy the eeprom and then put this on a cheap dongle. I am only in high school and do not have that much knolage of how the drivers communicate with the hardware so I am probably showing my ignorance asking these question!

Mark Lohrey
Mark Lohrey
4 years ago

Hi Steve, Thanks for your work on this project. I have built a converter that is not quite working correctly. I have read all the posts and not been able to find a similar issue. I am using Mac OS X 10.10.5 and have tried QLC+ and JV Lighting and am getting the same results. Both programs recognise the board as Entec Open DMX USB. When I plug the board in I get a solid red LED on the board that remains on. If I send a DMX signal via a slider to it, a green LED on the board… Read more »

Mark Lohrey
Mark Lohrey
Reply to  Steven

Hi Steve, I have made an attempt to get it to work on a PC. I made no progress at all with freestyler and wasn’t even sure whether I was getting DMX output. The monitor window wasn’t showing DMX output but I couldn’t see what I was doing wrong. I gave QLC+ ago on the PC as I am more familiar with that. The board was recognised by QLC+ but no output was observed. Even less success than my mac. At least I got a solid green light for short bursts on it. Anyway, maybe it is my board? Perhaps… Read more »

Flare
Flare

Fix with “TXDEN –> SLEEP#” worked for me. Now I have cheap DMX 🙂

Diego
Diego
4 years ago

Hello, when I try to schedule Sleep C2 as this continues to TXDEN . Solution? As would be the lifting pins 1 and 2. And besides that the FTDI board or MAX485

Thank you!!!

Marvin
Marvin
3 years ago

Hi there,

is there a solution found to program the fake ftdi chips?

thank you!